Monday, May 20, 2013

Never finish your sentence

One of the best time-saving tips I learned when I was writing my dissertation is to never finish a sentence...at the end of a writing session.
Here is how it worked for me. I was working full time while I was earning my doctorate degree. The time I had to write my dissertation was early morning before I went to work. I had to stop writing at 7 a.m. to get ready for work.
Because I had to be so clock-driven rather than project-driven, I was unable to finish a section before I had to quit writing each day. I was frustrated.
Then I remembered a time I got to interview Fredrick Manfred, the author of Lord Grizzly. Manfred told me and the other graduate students that he always purposely quit his writing session each day in the middle of a sentence. The next day, he claimed it was much easier to pick up his train of thought, finish the sentence, finish the paragraph, and move on.
I thought if it could work for a career author, I would give it a try.
I was amazed at how freeing the technique was AND how much time it saved me because I was able to get right back to my writing the next morning.
It really did work! I seemed to be able to remember where I was headed in my paper by finishing the sentence I had started the day before. That sentence led to the next sentence, next paragraph, and ...

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this, but I am totally going to try it! I have always finished a thought, but I am going to be purposeful in trying this. Thanks!

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts as this blog progresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first heard this idea, my reaction was, "Sure, fine. That works for a novelist, but what about a research document or an informational article?" It totally worked!
      There goes one more "Yeah, but... down the drain."
      Try it, let us know how it works for you. :)

      Delete
  2. This is like so many other brilliant ideas--so simple! Cool! Thanks, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marilyn. I'll definitely give this a try.

    ReplyDelete