Friday, July 26, 2013

Write down everything

Earlier in July I wrote about Jo Hartmann teaching me that time is not elastic. Another colleague, Maggie Austin, showed me that time is not elastic by example.  I call Maggie’s method “write-down-everything.”

I have had the privilege of working with Maggie on a few projects.  In one of our planning meetings, she showed me a list she had created of essential tasks that go into an event. Maggie had listed every detail such as prepare handouts, set up participant tables and chairs, hang posters, set up welcome table, prepare participant folders, order snacks for breaks, and tidy up after first day. She had included an approximate time each task would take.  I was amazed at how much time these sorts of tasks take—I had planned for events and classes before--but in my mind--I had always thought about the time it takes to study the material, plan the activities for participants, and prepare the handout. I had not planned for the phone calls, the set-up, and the gathering of auxiliary materials.

Now I call this time management strategy “write-down-everything.” Whether I am planning a study session for myself, a team meeting with a few colleagues, or a professional development event for an entire school district, I need to remember to write down everything.  I write down everything for three reasons:
  1. I realize how much time the work will actually take
  2. I am not rushed when I do my studying
  3. I can check off the tasks as I finish them to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Maggie and I are not the only ones to use this write-down-everything method. Next time I will share a time management blog that incorporates this method and takes it to the next level.  

No comments:

Post a Comment